Friday, August 29, 2008

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"


Ethics and morals in poker. It's always an interesting debate and at the end of the day, it's really just a personal thing. I know what sits right with me and what doesn't.

The reason I mentioned that maybe lubing up Scotty in the 50K HORSE final table was a little dubious to me, was due to Lindgrens comment after the game "I couldn't even beat a drunk".

Not "I couldn't beat someone that was drunk" but to me, it sounded like he couldn't beat someone with an alcohol problem that was off their dial.

So now there's the moral debate, if hypothetically Scotty does have a serous problem with alcohol, is it okay to try and get him drunk? What if he was on the wagon? Still fair play?

Anything goes? Is the poker table total war as long as you don't break any rules?




FG

1 comment:

bastinptc said...

Some big ifs. The story I seem to recall was that Scotty was miffed because Milwaukee's best, a WSOP sponsor was insistent that MB be the only beer at the final table. A compromise was reached. Scotty's fav beer would be without a label.they tore it off.

There are other horror stories of Scotty's drinking/tilting. The guy has a drinking problem. If Lindgren bought him a couple, I doubt it made a difference in the long run. A person has only one mouth.

What am I trying to say? If a person is an alcoholic, has an untreated bi-polar disorder, just got served divorce papers, or any such thing that will take one off of his or her game, and chooses to be at the table anyway, well...

Poker may be war. It can certainly be ugly.

 
Site Meter