Friday, April 17, 2009

The thin red line

Today was a good day and I finished up around 5 buyins. I think I played well but the biggest factor was undoubtedly running into good situations and then my hand holding up. i.e. LUCK.

It's funny how often you see poker players (and professional sports people in general) put down success to factors within their control and failure to factors outside their control. When we have a good session, we put it down to being in the zone or the result of tweaks to our game. When we lose, it's being coolered or run down with the best hand. The reality is almost every hand we play is sub-optimally, so even bad beats or coolers could have been played better. To my thinking, for every hand we play there's a 'perfect path' which involves the best decision and the perfect bet amount. Every hand we stray anywhere from a little left of centre (right decision on every street but slightly incorrect bet amounts) to making the completely wrong decisions on every street.

Speaking of tweaks, there are some changes which do seem to be making my decision making simpler.

1. I'm raising pre-flop almost every hand. In particular, with small-mid pairs I never open limp any more.
2. My table selection has improved significantly. I now open up 6 or so (loose) tables and I stay at the tables where I have position on the LAG's.
3. I've started taking enforced breaks every couple of hundred hands. A quick stretch and splash of water on the face and I feel fresh again.




FG

3 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

"1. I'm raising pre-flop almost every hand. In particular, with small-mid pairs I never open limp any more."

What do you do after the flop? Always CB, mix it up, or??

Forrest Gump said...

I quickly learnt that cbetting in micro is an exercise in frustration. For the 66% of flops I miss, I cbet 10% or less. For the right conditions, maybe my opponent has checked out of position to me, or the flop is dry, my image is tight etc.

I have started cbetting the regulars more lately as they:
a) can recognise i was the preflop aggressor
b) can recognise my image is tight
c) can recognise they don't have the odds to draw





FG

Memphis MOJO said...

I appreciate your comment to my question. Good advice, thanks.

 
Site Meter