Friday, September 5, 2008

Thank you very much for your kind donation


From what I've observed, there seems to be three basic types of players:

1. Solid low stakes grinders.
- Is a winning player
- Studies the game
- Very few leaks
- Plays multiple tables

2. Casual player
- Majority of online players
- Have some leaks, often including
- over valuing top pair and overpairs
- poor positional play
- plays too many hands

3. The 'Donkeys'
- Have many leaks
- Play any 2 cards, over aggressive, overbet the pot etc

The reason I believe it's so important to always be on the lookout for 'soft' tables with at least one or two 'donkeys', is because I'm always looking to maximize my edge in the game.

Against the solid players, I figure I have very little if any edge. We're both basically at the mercy of the cards we're dealt. The money, on infrequent occasions, will shift back and forth between us when someone gets what I call an 'ugly second best'. On the plus side, it is a great way to learn and back in my Poker Academy days, I always sought out the greats like Spambot and One to improve my game.

Edge: ~48-52%


Against the casual players, there's a small edge but the occasions where I win a big pot from them won't be frequent and its a long term prospect. Over time, I figure to win money from these players.

Edge: ~60%


But against the bad players, there seems to be a significant edge. The key difference is this: 'the bad players will typically give me their chips'. I don't necessarily need to outplay them, I don't need to out-think them. Over the short-term, they'll go crazy with top pair or wild bluffs and I'll take their chips.

Edge: ~80%


It's a very predatory approach to the game and to be honest, in some respects there's not a whole lot of 'poker' involved. But I do believe it's the strategy to achieve the highest win rate and it has worked for me the last year or two.




FG

1 comment:

Cardgrrl said...

Poker is a predatory game. Don't apologize for trying to find the most promising fishing hole you can!

 
Site Meter