Saturday, March 7, 2009

Did I do thaaaaaat?




As Bastin has witnessed, I can be a bit of an annoyance to some players at the table. It's absolutely not personal and I'm happy to shake hands and say 'Good game sir' after the match. The reason for poking and prodding isn't about gaining an edge and believing I have some innate ability to put someone on tilt enough to throw me their chips. The reasons are:

1. Sheer boredom. Full ring can be like watching paint dry so it helps me pass the time. Just as poker is a battle of minds, I also enjoy a little verbal stoush.

2. Information. It's a way to get information about a player. Even no response at all tells me they might be a TAG multitabling. Sometimes I'll say 'wow you played that baaaad' knowing full well they played it fine. It's 10% to tilt/annoy them and 90% looking for a response that conveys they know the game.

3. Vendetta. On occasion, some will really fire up and make sure they're in any pot I play looking to bust me. It's not common but it does happen. Generally speaking I can widen their range a little but it can also complicate matters as I need to figure if they're overplaying their hand or thinking a level above me.



FG

3 comments:

bastinptc said...

Gump: Your son is a prodigy?

Opponent & Table Captain: Yep

Gump: Usually the product of an obsessive, overbearing parent with issues.

(something like that)

It shut the guy up.

Forrest Gump said...

Ah yes, the lead up was him saying "I played so bad his son could beat me". Interesting how he initially went off the deep end and threatened to report me (for what i don't know!) but we had a cordial chat before he left eh?

bastinptc said...

I've played that guy numerous times. Always the same.

 
Site Meter