Friday, July 17, 2009

Heads up versus TheDeuce

In the PAO Heads Up Challenge I've made it through to the final four and my next game is against 'TheDeuce'. This is the reason why I play in these things - the chance to play some high quality poker and very good opponents. Had I gone out early, I would have been disappointed to have missed the chance to play against TD or PeterGunn. Having reached this spot, I've achieved my immediate goals and I'm happy with either result. I'd also be happy to see the guy putting in the effort to organize the event play the final.

The interesting thing about this game is that I have little or no edge. It's very conceivable I'm a slight dog in this match. Most likely the cards will be the biggest deciding factor though.

The other interesting thing is my opponent knows my game. We've talked HU strategy and I've even discussed the light bulb moment when I figured out that min raising 90% of buttons was the best strategy. Previously I would raise 2.5 to 3 BB's and was looking to take pots down preflop, but I since realised this was the wrong mindset. With HU play, it's all about playing more streets in position and few hands than your opponent out of position. I want my opponent to call and see flops out of position, especially inferior opponents where i can now outplay them and winner a bigger pot post flop. The other side benefit if that when the blinds escalate and can still continue to raise my button without committing too many chips.

The strategy against TD I'm still not sure about. If I play a solid fundamental game, my opponent will quickly exploit this. If I mix up my play and deviate too far from the perfect line, I may be giving up too much to not justify being un-exploitable. There is one idea which is floating in my head which was something I learnt watching an old PA player called Spambot...



FG

No comments:

 
Site Meter