Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tournament vs Cash Game Mindset or High vs Low Variance Play?

An interesting hand with another poker blogger:


My thoughts on the hand. In a tournament, I'd play it exactly this way. I have the best hand and I'm jamming my chips in there. In a cash game, depending on the opponent I'd play it very different.


In an un-raised pot in a BB vs SB battle, I'd fold 45s preflop in a snap. The only real value is the implied odds multi-way. To a 4BB raise against the BB, I'd also fold it in a snap against any opponent. On the flop, it a super tricky spot with the worst of everything. Bottom pair, wrong end of a straight draw and baby (straight) flush draw. Lately I've been thinking, do we sometimes get drawn to the excitement of 2 outs to a beautiful straight flush? Out of position, I'd check and see what my opponent does. Whether I'm going to commit my stack then depends entirely on my opponent, but considering I know I need to hit I'm likely to fold. It's probably a big leak in my game...

I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, just a different approach. The latter is what works for me.





Poker Stars $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players




MP: $12.85

CO: $14.65

BTN: $5.00

SB: $16.05

BB: $25.00

Hero (UTG): $26.00



Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is UTG with 22 of diamonds 44 of clubs

4 folds, SB calls $0.15, BB raises to $1, SB calls $0.75



Flop: ($2.00) 44 of hearts 66 of spades 77 of spades (2 players)

SB bets $2.75, BB raises to $24 all in, SB calls $12.30 all in



Turn: ($32.10) KK of clubs (2 players - 2 are all in)



River: ($32.10) AA of hearts (2 players - 2 are all in)



Final Pot: $32.10

SB shows 55 of spades 44 of spades (a pair of Fours)

BB shows KK of spades 33 of spades (a pair of Kings)

BB wins $30.50





Hand Pot equity
4s5s 57.88%
Ks3s 42.12%

.

No comments:

 
Site Meter