Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Wise words from The Professor





When I sit down to play online, the amount of time I play or whether I even play at all depends on the tables available to me. If I can't find some loose tables where I think I have enough of an edge, I simply don't play. On Pokerstars, you're able to view how loose tables are playing and just as importantly, if they're overvaluing hands. The hand history is also an invaluable tool in identifying those spots at the table where I want to play a big pot, and those I'd like to avoid bumping heads with.

Of course it takes alot of disciple to sit down with a fresh coffee (AM) or a recently cracked beer (PM), fire up Pokerstars and then walk away if nothing looks particularly inviting. These days I have a few fallback options which I'm also finding have the added benefit of keeping my Holdem game fresh.

Fallback #1: 1c/2c Pot Limit Omaha. This is a safe way to get my feet wet learning a new game without much risk at all. Omaha is a very loose, post flop action game so it's incredibly refreshing after folding hand after hand playing Holdem. I usually play full ring Omaha as opposed to 6 max. This allows alot more breathing room so I can sit tight and watch the action without always being involved. Unfortunately full ring isn't as popular as its pretty much a game of playing the nuts.

Fallback #2: Play money 2-7 Triple Draw (lowball): If there's no full ring Omaha available, the next option is 2-7 Lowball. It's so refreshing to play a game nothing like Holdem. Omaha certainly has alot of cross-over but a draw lowball game is another world. On the surface it seems a very simple game with quite a bit of luck involved, but I'm enjoying it no end and may just take a dip at real $ soon. The fact that many don't even understand the basic rules could result in it being a money spinner also.


I recall a Full Tilt radio advert where Howard Lederer recommend everyone try other variations of poker. If you don't do this, he stated, you might not discover the game which you're alot better at, just as he discovered limit was his forte? It does appear 'The Professor' was onto something.


FG

No comments:

 
Site Meter