Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Out of position with Big Slick

Opponent is a little over-aggressive but isn't the soft spot at the table I'm gunning for. They've been relatively quiet due to a maniac playing a bit wild. A rare spot where the maniac has taken a rest and it's a button version blinds hand. The big blind is tight and I expect him to fold.

The button raises to 3BB and I have AK. Most would 3 bet in this spot but I typically call because:
- I don't want to build the pot preflop out of position, even with a hand as strong as AK
- I'm comfortable check-folding if I miss. I view AK as a connect or fold hand. I really don't see the point of playing alot of poker and winning big pots with Ace high at this level.
- I'm masking the strength of my hand and it looks like I'm defending. I often find that people will pay me off with a weak king or middle pair in this spot.
- It's a low variance play.

Post flop I was happy with the play. I felt confident I either had him out-kicked or I was way behind to a set. If it's the latter so be it.

Had the opponent been deeper I would have played this a little slower for pot control. Could possibly be a leak in my game...



Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2009/01/27 6:54:33 ET
Table 'Richilde' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: kehlet1 ($21.50 in chips)
Seat 3: fabson24 ($25.40 in chips)
Seat 4: Oz-Teej ($12.75 in chips)
Seat 5: Forrest Gump ($30.80 in chips)
Seat 6: buccanin ($6.15 in chips)
Seat 7: lamar7 ($25 in chips)
Seat 9: gurke66 ($15.55 in chips)
Forrest Gump: posts small blind $0.10
buccanin: posts big blind $0.25
KolaBella: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Forrest Gump [Ad Kc]
lamar7: folds
gurke66: folds
kehlet1: folds
fabson24: folds
Oz-Teej: raises $0.50 to $0.75
Forrest Gump: calls $0.65
buccanin: folds
*** FLOP *** [3d Ks 6d]
Forrest Gump: checks
Oz-Teej: bets $1
Forrest Gump: raises $2 to $3
Oz-Teej: calls $2
*** TURN *** [3d Ks 6d] [2s]
Forrest Gump: bets $5.50
Oz-Teej: raises $3.50 to $9 and is all-in
Forrest Gump: calls $3.50
*** RIVER *** [3d Ks 6d 2s] [Kh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Forrest Gump: shows [Ad Kc] (three of a kind, Kings)
Oz-Teej: mucks hand
Forrest Gump collected $24.50 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $25.75 | Rake $1.25
Board [3d Ks 6d 2s Kh]
Seat 1: kehlet1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: fabson24 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Oz-Teej (button) mucked [Kd Qh]
Seat 5: Forrest Gump (small blind) showed [Ad Kc] and won ($24.50) with three of a kind, Kings
Seat 6: buccanin (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: lamar7 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: gurke66 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

2 comments:

matt tag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
matt tag said...

Big Slick is very versatile, indeed. I like your play from the blind very much.

I also like to call in position, too, and then raise the C-Bet if I hit, or if I think the flop missed them.

I wouldn't remove the 3 bet from your arsenal entirely, though. Against known LAGs, the 3 bet with AK is a straight value play.

 
Site Meter