Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sound off like you got a pair!

An interesting hand.

Hammerhead seems to be playing a good TAG game and hasn't got out of line. Maverick is my soft spot at the table and I've recently taken a chunk of his chips. My image is pretty tight and I've shown the goods at each showdown, building my stack up over a buyin.


Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2009/01/22 2:34:01 ET
Table 'Virton' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Hammerhed64 ($50.75 in chips)
Seat 2: davidabcdefg ($24.70 in chips)
Seat 3: 19dbcooper71 ($25 in chips)
Seat 4: maverick8111 ($3.70 in chips)
Seat 5: SlimClem42 ($9.15 in chips)
Seat 6: jackie198201 ($25 in chips)
Seat 7: Forrest Gump ($62.25 in chips)
Seat 8: VictoryYG ($24.65 in chips)
Seat 9: nver2bg ($10.40 in chips)
davidabcdefg: posts small blind $0.10
19dbcooper71: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Forrest Gump [Jd Td]
maverick8111: calls $0.25
SlimClem42: folds
jackie198201 has timed out
jackie198201: folds
jackie198201 is sitting out
Forrest Gump: calls $0.25
VictoryYG: folds
nver2bg: folds
Hammerhed64: raises $0.75 to $1
davidabcdefg: folds
19dbcooper71: folds
maverick8111: calls $0.75
Forrest Gump: calls $0.75

(I typically wouldn't limp call here, but I think Maverick is gunning for me)

*** FLOP *** [6h Kd Qh]
maverick8111: checks
Forrest Gump: checks
Hammerhed64: checks
*** TURN *** [6h Kd Qh] [As]
jackie198201 has returned
maverick8111: checks
Forrest Gump: bets $2.80
Hammerhed64: raises $2.80 to $5.60
maverick8111: folds
Forrest Gump: calls $2.80
*** RIVER *** [6h Kd Qh As] [Jh]
Forrest Gump: checks
Hammerhed64: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Forrest Gump: shows [Jd Td] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
Hammerhed64: mucks hand
Forrest Gump collected $13.85 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $14.55 | Rake $0.70
Board [6h Kd Qh As Jh]
Seat 1: Hammerhed64 (button) mucked [Qc Kc]
Seat 2: davidabcdefg (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: 19dbcooper71 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: maverick8111 folded on the Turn
Seat 5: SlimClem42 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: jackie198201 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Forrest Gump showed [Jd Td] and won ($13.85) with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 8: VictoryYG folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: nver2bg folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Okay, so on the turn this is my thinking.

Good
- I have the stone cold nuts.

Bad
- The TAG is playing pretty deep and can all but wipe out my stack.

Good
- I have the stone cold nuts AND could win two buyins. What are you thinking?!

Bad
- The TAG behind me has min-raised, which typically means he wants to build the pot and isn't looking for a fold. He THINKS he has the best hand. Likely holdings are AK/AQ...or has he slow played a set? Maybe he has a pair and flush draw? Maybe he has the same hand? Oh sweet mercy....maybe he has JT hearts and would be free rolling?!?!?!

Oh my, oh my. Maybe I'll just check and take the low variance route.

And thus my balls shrank and I checked it down.




FG

PS An interesting line from the villain checking two pair in position on that flop then min-raising on the turn?

2 comments:

bastinptc said...

Interesting hand, and somewhat a common situation. With two hearts on flop, I'd be betting that two pair in position. His min-raise on the turn was a feeler to see where he was at. It only got worse for him on the river. Perhaps if you would have re-popped the turn just a tad...

Forrest Gump said...

My fist reaction was to 3bet the turn. Then i started to think, he obviously has something decent and while I'm in front, I might not be as far in front as I think. So he also has a monster, he's can't just call - it's push or fold time.

So I asked myself, do I want to race for 2 buyins or should I call and hope for a blank on the river...?

In hindsight, he had the bottom end of the range i put him on and played the hand pretty weird. But in a similar situation against a TAG min raising while that deep, I'm still not sure of the best play?


FG

 
Site Meter